07 December 2009

Spin, Span, Spun

Today, I purchased my first drop spindle (a medium top-whorl, Octo Dropspindle from Louet). I've been wanting to trying spinning for a while now, but I cannot afford to buy a spinning wheel at the moment, so I decided it was high time I bought a drop spindle.



I also purchased an ounce of blue merino for practice and another 4 ounces of natural superwash merino for when I felt more comfortable and had already blundered through the biggest mistakes I could make.



During the drafting process, I found that I wasn't gentle enough and I tore about half of the roving up. I may have weak arms, but I can pulverize wool. Next time I will have to be very careful.



This is my final product - a little skein of merino to cherish. I would definitely consider it a bulky weight yarn. The roving cost me $2.50, but I learned lessons that will last me a lifetime from that ounce of wool.


God bless merino.

2 comments:

  1. Bad Julie....very bad! Now you've gone and added another passion. I'm staying away from you....unless you want to come over with your Christmas Swift.... Why does saying that make me sound like I have a lisp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to say that the merino is beautiful. Sort of blueberry colored?

    ReplyDelete